Dr. Angie Krause, a holistic veterinarian in Boulder, CO has written an article about her experience with CBD and cats. She begins by explaining that CBD is the non-psychoactive part of cannabis. She recommends and uses products derived from hemp, because they have the lowest amount of THC – under 0.3% THC, and are legal federally.
CBD is believed to have a variety of anti-inflammatory properties, and promotes an overall sense of well being and may lessen seizures. However, that is not where it stops. Dr. Krause breaks down what issues she sees the most benefit from with cats using CBD.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD): The reasoning is simple. Most cats with IBD may vomit or have diarrhea, and some may lose weight. This is all due to inflammation. Because of CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties, if the inflammation is reduced, so are the symptoms.
- Pancreatitis: Many cats with IBD also have pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can be very frustrating to treat. Again, pancreatitis is simply inflammation of the pancreas.
- Arthritis: As with most people, cats that suffer from arthritis often need as much help as they can get. Dr. Krause explains that we don’t have nearly the medications for cats that we do for dogs in regards to pain control. Cats are also more reclusive, meaning they are simply less likely to get treatment for their aches and pains. Insert CBD here.
- Cancer: This is one of the most widely studied areas of CBD treatments – in people and pets. People and animals using CBD often show a longer survival time, with a better quality of life. As more research continues to emerge, we will have a better understanding why.
- Ashtma: Again, caused by inflammation, asthma is a common disease of cats. Some cats have much more severe symptoms, and life long treatment for asthma. CBD may help reduce the inflammation, leading to fewer asthma attacks.
Dr. Krause then attacks the issue of side effects of CBD. She warns that some animals can become somewhat sedated while using CBD because it promotes relaxation, and some animals are far more sensitive than others. Additionally, although she says it is very rare, but always a possibility for animals to be allergic to cannabis.
That’s Natural products are considered to be full spectrum meaning they contain cannabinoids and terpenes from the whole plant. Every mammal has an endocannabinoid system, which is fueled by these cannabinoids and terpenes. The combination of these compounds help to provide what is known as the entourage effect. Here you can listen to Dr. David Allen explain how the endocannabinoid system contributes to how our immune system and nervous system function. By providing pure, potent, and trusted products, That’s Natural continues to strive to meet our customer’s needs – something we have been doing for twelve years! With 100% traceability of where our hemp comes from, you can be confident in what you are putting on, or in, your body. For more questions regarding our CBD products, please visit our Questions and Answers page.